Discover the Benefits of a Natural Talalay Latex Mattress
We spend about a third of our lives sleeping, so it’s important to have a mattress that’s both comfortable and healthy. That’s why a natural talalay latex mattress is a great option.
Generally, there are a few types of materials used in mattresses: memory foam, polyurethane foam, and latex foam. Of these options, only latex is natural. It’s a durable, hypoallergenic rubber material that provides excellent support and pressure relief. To learn more about the benefit of talalay latex mattresses—read on!
What is Talalay Latex?
Talalay latex is an all-natural material made from rubber tree sap. It is produced by harvesting and mixing the tree’s natural latex, then processing it with air to create a foam that provides superior comfort and breathability. Dunlop latex is another type of natural rubber produced using a different, less-involved process. More on that later.
Talalay Production Process Explained
The Talalay production process requires a series of steps. Natural latex is a milky substance extracted from the Hevea-Brasiliense rubber tree. Harvesters cut the bark to collect the sap that oozes out. This doesn’t kill the rubber tree which lives, on average, about 30 years. Afterward, the substance is foamed with air. This makes a plethora of small bubbles that turn it into the smooth and bouncy texture we recognize as latex foam. Manufacturers add raw materials to the milky substance before pouring the liquid substance into a mold that contains pins throughout. Those pins form the holes in the final product. Next, the Talalay latex expands to fill the form by vacuuming out the air. Freezing the material at -20 degrees Fahrenheit ensures the desirable characteristics remain intact while with lasting durability.
After it’s freezing and molding the form, it is cured for several hours in a pressure steam chamber. Once solidified, the final form is complete with even bubble distribution throughout the foam. After that, the solid form is rinsed many times with water for a pure, clean Talalay latex product. Ultimately, the latex goes through a vulcanization process which exposes the latex to high heat removing moisture and improving the elasticity and resilience for the final high-quality Talalay latex product.
Taking it one step further, some manufacturers certify their Talalay latex by the internationally recognized Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS). This ensures the final product is at least 95% organic as well as validating specific manufacturing standards.
Talalay vs. Dunlop Latex: The Main Differences
Both Talalay and Dunlop use the same raw material. The manufacturing process is where Talalay and Dunlop latex differ and that distinguish the characteristics of each. The Talalay process is four times longer than the Dunlop process because, in addition to freezing, it includes two other steps that enhance the finished consistency, quality, and feel of Talalay natural latex.
Dunlop latex is known to be a denser and more elastic material that is made through a less expensive and time-intensive method of production. Because latex particles settle during the manufacturing process, Dunlop is a little less consistent in softness across the complete surface. In contrast, Talalay latex is softer, more breathable, less dense, and more homogeneous.
How do you choose between Talalay or Dunlop latex?
Well, the decision is always yours yet due to differences in the manufacturing process, Talalay latex has some benefits for your health and sleep that you should consider. Talalay is often considered the better option. The Talalay process creates a natural latex foam with an airier, more open structure which enables higher levels of breathability and pressure relief than Dunlop latex. Talalay also has a more consistent feel throughout.
The Advantages of Natural Talalay Latex
When it comes to choosing a mattress, there are many reasons to consider a natural Talalay latex option. We’ve compiled a list of the most important advantages of a Talalay latex mattress over just about any other mattress you can find.
- Talalay latex breathes at least seven times better than foams or other latex products. Its unique round and open cell structure make it the world’s best ventilating comfort material. Because the cells are open, they let air in, and because they are round, they provide support and cushioning.
- The hypoallergenic Talalay latex is ideal for allergy and asthma sufferers given how frequently and how long you use your mattress. Spending hours every night on a mattress should be safe and healthy.
- Talalay natural latex is naturally mold-resistant, antibacterial, and antifungal. Alone these features make it a great idea to use Talalay for making mattresses that are known to harbor microbes and mold spores.
- Talalay’s breathability makes it airier than other kinds of latex foam which helps create a better micro-climate in bed. Maintaining a better bed temperature improves overall comfort.
- Because Talalay latex is made entirely of natural ingredients, unlike polyurethane or synthetic latex foam, it will not emit harmful chemicals or the smell of bad odors. That is, it does not emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Latex is naturally durable and keeps its original shape after compression. Talalay has a more consistent structure throughout, so your mattress will not sag or change shape over time. A longer lasting bed makes it a sustainable choice in consideration of the environment.
- After 20 years or so, when it’s time to retire your natural Talalay latex mattress, you can rest assured knowing that it is biodegradable and will have a less harmful impact on the environment than other artificial foam and synthetic memory foam mattresses that take many years to degrade.
Talalay: The Choice for The SAMINA Natural Rubber Mattress
If you’re in the market for a mattress that is both comfortable and highly durable, Talalay is an excellent choice. It’s the preferred material for SAMINA’s natural rubber mattress. With unique health benefits and a rigorous production process that allows it to breathe better and last longer than other mattresses on the market. The unexpected bonus is that since it’s more lightweight than Dunlop, Talalay latex mattresses can be the better choice for moving your bed, reorganizing your bedroom, and altogether easier for transporting.
So, the next time you’re looking for a reliable mattress with comfort, health, and eco-friendly benefits, there is no better choice than a Talalay natural mattress!