Why SAMINA is the top choice for me and my family
by Nira ter Veld of Good Life Healing House
One of the main reasons I started looking at non-toxic and organic mattresses in the first place is because of my thyroid condition (Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis). Most conventional mattresses contain toxins, which have been shown to leach into the human body, storing in fat cells and altering hormone function. We’ve been using the SAMINA Sleep System since 2017 and our experience so far has been phenomenal.
It has met all my requirements for creating a non-toxic and healthy sleep sanctuary.
Below are the reasons why as a health and wellness advocate, I have chosen SAMINA:
- SAMINA is made of high-quality, pure, natural, non-toxic, and organic materials such as humanely harvested sheep’s wool from the best German merino sheep, natural rubber made from 100 percent sustainably sourced rubber latex, and the finest cotton and organic ceramic fabrics.
- I love that SAMINA does not contain toxic fire-retardant chemicals, petrochemicals, glue, or synthetic materials. It is free from Formaldehyde, which is often used in the glue that holds different layers of mattresses together.
- All SAMINA products are free from metals. If you have any metal in your mattress or bed base such as the coil in a box spring mattress, that metal could act as a radiation antenna. From the sleep biologic point of view, I believe that a metal-free sleeping environment is one of the most important preconditions for healthy and restorative sleep. Metals are excellent electrical conductors and therefore intensify electromagnetic fields (EMFs) form the surrounding. Furthermore, according to research, the electromagnetic field of a spring mattress in combination with a box spring could be causing an increased risk of certain cancers.
- Besides sleeping on a spring-less mattress, it is also better to sleep on a spring-less and metal-free support system. SAMINA offers the perfect solution for this by using a patented construction of a double-sided, free-floating, unglued, spinal support slat frame . The slatted frame is not only spring-less and orthopedic but also is a great solution for a proper back support, as it can be set to our personal body shape and needs.
- I’m a huge fan of “Grounding or Earthing”, which means connecting electrically with the Earth’s natural healing energy. A growing body of research is finding numerous health benefits such as reduced inflammation, pain and stress and improved blood flow, sleep, and vitality, as a result of the physical body being grounded. Unfortunately, with our modern life we no longer have a natural electrical connection to the Earth, unless walking barefoot. The Lokasana® earthing pad helps to restore the basic natural bioelectrical state of the body and enables me to have a deep, restful and healthy sleep.
- We all sweat as part of our natural detoxification especially when we sleep. I’m sensitive to temperature with my thyroid issues, and I’ve always had trouble getting temperature comfortable at night. SAMINA has open air circulation, breathable layers and materials including natural wool fibers, which help me to sleep dry and not have my sleep disrupted due to overheating while sleeping. Studies show that wool bedding helps normalize sleepers’ temperature noticeably more than feather, down or polyester fibers.
- I have multiple chemical sensitivities and some allergies. So, it is really important for me to have the least exposure to chemicals, environmental toxins, mold and dust mites. The sheep’s wool in SAMINA regulates moisture, has antibacterial properties, excellent self-cleaning capacity and is skin-friendly. Due to dry heat, the dust mites are deprived of their livelihood. Hence, the sheep’s wool as well as natural latex are natural dust mite deterrent and mold resistant, allowing for a healthy, low-allergen sleeping environment, without use of added chemicals.
- For me, another big advantage of the SAMINA sleep system over other mattresses is that individual components can be replaced over time instead of replacing the entire mattress every few years. From a hygienic point of view, they recommend rejuvenating those products filled with sheep’s wool after 8 to 10 years of use.
- The final reason why I support SAMINA is that they opted for climate-friendly and CO2-neutral production processes: from the extraction of the raw materials and the manual production process to the delivery to the customers, they contribute to save Mother Earth from climate change.
In sum, the SAMINA Sleep System turned out to be my top choice for a sleep in its purest form: healthy, ecological, and sustainable.
Nira welcomes your questions!
Nira ter Veld, Certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach (CHHC)